VolcanismHow deeply does the climate system connect with the rest of Earth?
- Bridigt Boulahanis showed that variations in the thickness of crust flanking portions of the East Pacific Rise are consistent with quasi-100 ky variations in melt production (2020).
- A model of how melt production changes at mid-ocean ridges in response to sealevel-induced pressure variations was presented along with evidence from the Australian-Antarctic ridge for significant wavelengths of variability corresponding to the 100 ky, 41 ky, and 23 ky variations in Pleistocene sealevel (2015). Apperance of a sea-level response in ridge bathymetry was criticized in favor of the standard faulting model by Olive et al. (2016), and the discussion is continued in this comment and reply. Much of this work is part of the NSF-funded VOICE project.
- Glacial unloading appears to have roughly tripled global volcanic activity during the last deglaciation and, quite possibly, also increased the volcanic emission of CO2 (2009). Variability in the appearance of ash layer deposits in marine sediments also appears to support increased volcanism during deglaciaitons (2012).
- Boulahanis, Carbotte, Huybers, Nedimovic, Aghaei, Canales, and Langmuir Do sea level variations influence mid-ocean ridge magma supply? A test using crustal thickness and bathymetry data from the East Pacific Rise , Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 2020. link.
- Huybers, Langmuir, Katz, Ferguson, Priostosescu, and Carbotte Comment on "Sensitivity of seafloor bathymetry to climate-driven fluctuations in mid-ocean ridge magma supply, Science, 2016. pdf
- Crowley, Katz, Huybers, Langmuir, and Park Glacial cycles drive variations in the production of oceanic crust, Science, 2015. pdf
- Huybers and Langmuir, Feedback between deglaciation, volcanism and atmospheric CO2 , Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 2009. pdf and supplementary data
- Kutterolf, Jegen, Mitrovica, Kwasnitschka, Freundt and Huybers A detection of Milankovitch frequencies in global volcanic activity, Geology, 2012. pdf